Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Paper Size

Now, for the most part, I am a plein air artist and I constantly battle the changing light and how it effects a scene. Time is my enemy. That being said, I have recently discovered that although the thought of painting a large painting is very exciting, it may also be impossible for me at this time.

I recently bought eight 18"x24" sheets of Kitty Wallis paper to try out, thinking I could really get loose on a larger sheet of paper. I tried it out on two different occasions and found I had a difficult time covering the whole sheet and still make it work. First, I failed to make the main subject large enough to fill the whole sheet. As a result, there was a lot of foreground which wasn't fully utilized. I can trim it if I want, but more than likely, I will either reuse the paper or try to work it to a point of completion. Second, I'll need to work quickly and decisively.

After doing a lot of less-than-ideal paintings recently, I did a pretty good one today. I find that if I am not able to fully concentrate on what I am doing, I might as well stay home, and recently I haven't been able to focus on painting at all. It had gotten pretty disappointing at times. Going back to a 12"x18" size of Wallis paper today is a good thing for now, and I definitely felt that I was in control.

Of course, being in a great setting (on the shore of Lake Ontario) at a friend's house didn't hurt. I could paint that lake every day of the year.

I think that in the future I will be able to conquer the larger size. I'll just need to be very focused and will have to remember to use the whole sheet when I sketch it out initially. And then I'll work REALLY, REALLY FAST!

No comments: